West Bridgford by David Dunford & Sheila Leeds


The interior of St Giles’ church after the restoration of 1871, featuring the recent innovation of gas lighting.

The principal sources for material are:

Nottinghamshire Archives

Includes records relating to the parish of West Bridgford, with Glebe Terriers, faculties and parish registers, and material relating to the Chaworth Musters family who owned most of West Bridgford before selling off their estate for development from the 1880s onwards.

Manuscripts and Special Collections of the University of Nottinghamshire

Includes collections relating to the Chaworth Musters family.

West Bridgford Library Local Studies Collections

Includes St Giles’ parish magazines and census returns.

West Bridgford and District Local History Society

The Society’s web site – www.BridgfordHistory.org – aims to host or link to as much written material relating to West Bridgford as is freely available. Publications range from medieval times to the present day and include directories and maps and much more. There is also an extensive collection relating to St Giles’ church.